?

단축키

Prev이전 문서

Next다음 문서

ESC닫기

+ - Up Down Comment Print
  * 조국을 사랑한 바리오스 망고레 (4)

** Religious and Cultural Influences  종교적 관점에서

An exhilarating influence on many of Barrios' compositions is religion. At birth he was titled Agustín Pio Barrios, and from 1930 to his death he was recognized as Agustín Barrios Mangoré (Chief Nitsuga). In the year 1930, came the birth of Barrios' new persona, Cacique Nitsuga Mangoré, the "messenger of the Guarani race... the Paganini of the guitar from the jungles of Paraguay." 13

바리오스의 많은 작품에 상큼한 영향을 준 것은 종교입니다. 출생 당시, 그의 이름은 Agustín Pio Barrios 이었지만, 1930년부터 영면할 때까지는 Agustín Barrios Mangoré (Chief Nitsuga)로 불려집니다. 1930년에 그는 Cacique Nitsuga Mangoré라는 새사람으로 다시 태어났지요. - 이 이름은, (파라과이의 정글에서 온 이교도) 과라니 족의 기타 사자(使者)라는 뜻으로 보임. - 역자 주.

Disillusioned with his success, Barrios developed this persona in order to attract a greater audience and at the same time pay tribute to his forefathers. During this episode of performances by Chief Nitsuga, Barrios would dress in full Guarani tribal   clothings (or lack thereof). "Barrios had no trouble drawing upon his roots to create the rather theatrical character of "Chief Nitsuga Mangoré"; it was a source of great satisfaction to him. "Nitsuga" is Agustin spelled backward, and the name "Mangoré" was taken from the historical figure of Chief Mangoré, leader of the Timbúes people, circa 1528." 14

그의 성공에 따른 각성으로, 바리오스는, 다수의 청중을 유인하고, 한편, 선조에게 공헌하기 위하여, 이 (새) 인격체를 개발한 것입니다. Chief Nitsuga라는 명칭을 쓴 연주회는, 그가 과라니 족의 전통의상을 곧잘 입곤 하는 일화를 남깁니다. 바리오스는 "Chief Nitsuga Mangoré" 라는, 극적 효과가 더해진 개성 있는 칭호를 사용함으로써, 그의 뿌리를 나타내는데 별 어려움이 없었으며, 그는 이에 크게 만족하였습니다. "Nitsuga"는 “Agustin”의 철자를 역순으로 배치한 것일 뿐이고, "Mangoré"는, 1528년경의 역사적 인물인 팀부 족의 추장에서 따온 것입니다.

August of 1930 is the first documented appearance of Barrios as Chief Nitsuga Mangoré, which was in Bahia, Brazil. "He was billed as ‘Agustín Barrios portraying the caricature of Nitsuga’ indicating the beginning of a gradual transition which three years later would see him presenting himself exclusively s Nitsuga Mangoré with little mention whatsoever of Agustín Barrios." 15

“Chief Nitsuga Mangoré”이라는 이름은 1930년 8월에 처음 등장한 것으로 Bahia, Brazil 문헌에 기록되어 있습니다. Agustín Barrios는 Nitsuga로 각색되어 선전되기 시작하고, 점진적으로 전이하다가, 3년 후에는 Nitsuga Mangoré로 특화 되며, Agustín Barrios라는 이름은 거의 불려지지 않게 됩니다.

This unique new persona did not however mark a new episode of compositional styles. It was during this spiritual escapade that Barrios wrote the Profesion de Fe(Profession of Faith), which explained from Guarani mythology, how Chief Nitsuga came to play the guitar, and how he ascended into his new persona:

그러나 이 특이한 새 인격체는, 그의 창작 스타일에는 어떤 새로운 흔적도 남기지 않았습니다. 이 종교적 기행이 이어지는 동안, 그는 Profesion de Fe (Profession of Faith)를 작곡하였는데, 이는 과라니 족의 신화 및, 추장 니츠가(Chief Nitsuga)가 어떻게 연주하고. 어떻게 새 인격체를 형성해 가는지를 보여 줍니다.

* Profession of Faith

Tupa, the supreme spirit and protector of my people, - 투파, 지고의 영이요, 종족의 수호자라.......

Tupa ; 정확하진 않으나, 파라과이 과라니 족의 밀림-神, 조상-神으로서, 토속 샤머니즘과 카톨릭이 결합된 신앙으로 추정 됨. - 역자 주.

Found me one day in the middle of a greening forest, Enraptured in the contemplation of Nature, - (그는) 어느 날, 녹림의 중심에 있는 나를 보았지. 자연의 관조에 도취된 (나를).......

And he told me: "Take this mysterious box and reveal its secrets." - 그는 내게 말했지, “이 신비의 상자를 열고, 그 기밀을 계시하라.”

And enclosing within it all the songs of the birds of the jungle, And the mournful signs of the plants. - 그리곤, 노래하는 밀림의 새와 슬픔에 잠긴 초목을 모두 담아 두거라.

He abandoned it in my hands. I took it and obeying Tupa's command, I held it close to my heart. - 그는 내 손에 상자를 팽개쳤지. 난 투파의 명에 복종하고, 가슴 속 깊이 품어 두었지.

Embracing it I passed many moons on the edge of a spring fountain,- 난 그걸 껴안고는 원천(源泉) 곁에서 여러 달을 보냈었지.

And one night, Yacy (the moon, our mother), Reflected in the crystal liquid, Feeling the sadness of my Indian soul, -어느 밤, 수정 수에 투영된 할머니 신(月神)이, 내게 인디언의 슬픈 영혼을 느끼게 해 주었지.

Gave me six silver moonbeams, With which to discover its secrets, And the miracle took Place: - 내게 여섯 가닥 은빛 달빛을 주소서, (그걸로) 그 비밀을 찾게 해 주소서, (그걸로) 기적이 있는 그곳에 가게 해 주소서.

From the bottom of the mysterious box, There come forth a marvelous symphony,  Of all the virgin voices of America." 16 - 신비한 상자 기저에서, 경이로운 교향악이 튀어 나오네, 아메리카 모든 처녀의 합창이, (튀어 나오네.)

Barrios' religious convictions were more theosophical than strict Catholicism. "For him God and Nature are inextricably part of one another, and Man, being part of Nature, is part of God. 17

바리오스의 종교적 확신은 엄격한 가톨릭이 아니라 접신(接神)론에 가깝습니다. 바리오스에게는 신과 자연이 불가분의 관계이며, 인간은 자연의 일부이기도, 신의 일부이기도 합니다.

A Brazilian newspaper, Jornal do Recife, published an interview on January 5, 1931 containing the thoughts and opinions of Barrios' views on religion: "In spite of a severe religious education, my primitive pantheism has pointed me in the direction of Theosophy, the most human and rational of philosophic concepts. I believe in the immutable laws of Nature. And Humanity and the Good impregnate my spirit as the ethical end of all existence." 18

브라질 신문인 Jornal do Recife, 1931.1.5자 인터뷰에는 바리오스의 종교관이 피력되어 있습니다. “난 혹독한 종교교육을 받았음에도, 내 원시적 범신론은 내게, 대부분의 사람들이 이성적, 철학적 개념을 통해서 수용할 수 있는 접신론적 관점을 제시하며, 나는 만고불변의 자연법을 믿습니다. 또, 인간성과 선함이 모든 존재의 윤리적 종점임을 내 영혼에 잉태하게 합니다.”

One great work that crosses the line between Imitative and Religiously inspired works is La Cathedral. This work is now one of his most widely played compositions. It consists of three movements: Andante Religioso, Allegro Solemne, and the Prelude which was written 19 years after the first two movements.

전승(바하)과 종교(범신론)의 두 경계가 교차하는 위대한 작품은 대성당입니다. 이 작곡은 현재 가장 널리 연주되는 작품으로서, Andante Religioso, Allegro Solemne, the Prelude인 3개 악장으로 구성되는데, Prelude는 다른 2개 악장이 작곡 된지 19년 후에 쓰여 졌습니다.

"The story is related that he based this piece on an experience he had entering the Cathedral of San José in Montevideo; The broad, horizontal chords of the andante represent his impressions of the organist playing Bach in the cathedral. The ensuing allegro represents his leaving the calm, spiritual atmosphere of the cathedral and entering out into the street, where the hustle and bustle of the real world is represented by incessant 16th note arpeggio figures. *19. La Cathedral portrays elements of Bach counterpoint. This work is also one of his finest, exploring deep emotion and virtuosic technique.

이 악상은 그가 산호세의 몬테비데오 성당에 갔을 때의 경험에 근거하며, 안단테의 펼쳐진 수평화음은 성당에서 바하를 연주하는 오르간 주자를 연상하게 하고, 그 느낌을 대변합니다. 잇따른 알레그로는, 교회의 영적 분위기, 정적을 뒤로 한 채 성당을 빠져나왔음을 말해 주며, 끊임없는 16분음표 알페지오 음형은 왁자지껄한 세속의 거리를 대변합니다. 대성당 역시 깊은 정서와 고도의 테크닉을 맛볼 수 있는 걸작입니다.

During the later part of his life, Barrios composed Una Limosna por el Amor de Dios(An Alm for the Love of God). This piece is a tremolo composition, and displays Barrios' total mastery of this technique: the melody in the soprano voice is underpinned by an ostinato rhythmic motif in the middle voice.

바리오스는 후기에 Una Limosna por el Amor de Dios(An Alm for the Love of God)를 작곡했으며, 이 악곡은 트레몰로 기법으로서, 이 기술이 총체적으로 집약되어 있는데, 주선율인 소프라노 성부는 오스티나토 기법에 따른 중음의 율동적 동기에 의해 지지되고 있습니다. (예-5. 참조.)

Ex.5: An illustration of the bass motif in Una Limosna por el Amor de Dios: 20

"This motif, which is never altered during the piece and is said to represent the "knocking at the door" of a beggar, effectively bolsters the musical architecture." 21

전 악곡에 변함없이 걸쳐져 있는, 이 동기는 ‘문을 두드리는 거지’에 비유되며, 음악적 구조물에 있어서 효과적인 받침대 역할을 하게 됩니다.

Example 6 consists of measures 3-10 of An Alm for the Love of God, and displays the use of the ostinato rhythmic motif in lower voice in relation to melody in the soprano voice:

예-6.에서 예시하는, ‘An Alm for the Love of God’의 제3~10번 마디는, 주선율인 소프라노 성부와 관련을 가진 저음부가 오스티나토 기법에 의한 율동적 동기로 구성되었음을 보여줍니다.

Ex.6: ms. 3-10 of An Alm for the Love of God 22

gmland.

Articles

나눔글꼴 설치 안내

이 PC에는 나눔글꼴이 설치되어 있지 않습니다.

이 사이트를 나눔글꼴로 보기 위해서는
나눔글꼴을 설치해야 합니다.

설치 취소

Designed by sketchbooks.co.kr / sketchbook5 board skin

Sketchbook5, 스케치북5

Sketchbook5, 스케치북5

Sketchbook5, 스케치북5